Experience the Difference
Los Angeles Guardianship Attorney
California Guardianship Laws
A legal guardianship grants someone other than a child’s parent the right and responsibility to care for the child.
Guardianship may be established if:
- The child’s parents are deceased
- The child’s parents are deemed unfit or unable to care for their child
- The child’s parents are incarcerated
If you need legal representation while seeking or contesting guardianship, choose the Law Office of Mitchell A. Port. Our Los Angeles guardianship attorney understands the ins and outs of this complicated process and can build a case that will position you for success. Mitch Port is proud to prioritize his clients and their unique needs, delivering personalized and attentive service to every client.
What Are Your Rights as a Guardian in CA?
Guardianship grants a person the same rights as a parent, but the guardian only has legal custody of the child – he or she does not adopt the child. That means the guardianship will only last as long as the court specifies or until the child turns 18.
There are two types of guardianships:
- Guardianship of the person: As a guardian of the person, you will essentially act as the child’s parent, maintaining legal and physical custody of the child and providing food, shelter, clothing, medical care, and education.
- Guardianship of the estate: As a guardian of the estate, you are in charge of managing the child’s income, money, investments, and any other property in the child’s name until he/she turns 18.
Navigating a case involving guardianship can be extremely difficult. Courts exercise great scrutiny in these cases since children are involved. Every decision made must reflect the child’s best interests.
At the Law Office of Mitchell A. Port, we are committed to helping you achieve your goals while keeping the child’s best interests in mind. Everything we do is in an effort to protect the children involved and ensure they have a safe environment and a caring guardian. Let Mitch Port provide the legal services needed to establish or contest a guardianship in California.
Give our Los Angeles guardianship attorney a call at (310) 526-3433 to get started on your case.
“If you live on one coast and have a complex legal case on the other, you want a lawyer that not only has the knowledge and expertise to handle your case, but can make it as convenient as possible. I found that with Mitchell Port.” - Michelle F.
“My brother and I have been so fortunate that my father chose Mitch Port to create his Trust!” - Cathy W
Mitch is compassionate, extremely knowledgeable and professional” - Lynne
Just enter your email address to receive the download link.