Experience the Difference
Los Angeles Trusts Lawyer
Safeguard Your Property & Assets in California
Whether you are interested in establishing a new trust or need to resolve an issue with an existing trust, the Law Office of Mitchell A. Port can help. Our Los Angeles trust lawyer has 37 years of experience and understands the complex laws and regulations governing trusts.
Our Los Angeles trust attorney can assist you with:
- Establishing and funding a trust
- Trust administration
- Trust litigation
- Contesting a trust
- Trust revocation
Contact Mitch Port for a free phone consultation – just call (310) 526-3433 to speak with our Los Angeles trust lawyer.
What Is a Trust?
A trust is a tool that can be used to manage assets during your lifetime and distribute them upon your death. A trustee must be established to manage the trust and administer the property when appropriate.
Trusts are often funded by:
- Real property
- Valuable items and family heirlooms
- Cars, trucks, and other vehicles
Trusts are useful if you want to protect certain assets for minor children or young adults who cannot be trusted with complete access to the assets.
Types of Trusts
- Revocable trust is a trust that can be revoked or altered by the person who created it (grantor) at any point during their lifetime. This type of trust is effective for avoiding probate and providing for asset management if the grantor is incapacitated.
- Irrevocable trust cannot be changed or revoked once created. This type of trust is best used to protect your assets and reduce taxes for estate planning purposes.
- Living trusts can be created during the life of the grantor and becomes effective immediately. This type of trust is often used to avoid probate and provide asset management in the event of incapacitation.
- Testamentary trusts are created in a will and becomes effective upon the grantor's death. It is typically used to manage assets for minor children or individuals with special needs.
- A charitable trust is created for charitable purposes. It provides tax benefits to the grantor and can support a variety of philanthropic causes.
- Special needs trusts are created for individuals with disabilities. The purpose is to provide for an individual's needs without interfering with their eligibility for government assistance.
- Spendthrift trusts restrict beneficiary's access to the trust assets. This type of trust is often used to protect assets from creditors and the beneficiary's poor financial decisions.
Contact Our California trust law firm at (310) 526-3433 if you need help with living trusts, special needs trust, revocable trusts, and more. Our experienced Los Angeles trust lawyers will be with you every step of the way.
Trust Administration in California
It can be difficult to determine how to properly administer a trust. The process depends on the type of property funding the trust, the beneficiaries, and whether the trust is contested.
Our Los Angeles trust attorney can help trustees with:
- Impartially handling beneficiaries and distributing the assets properly
- Separating trust assets and personal assets
- Mitigating or resolving disputes with beneficiaries
- All tax-related matters
- Addressing debts
- Administering trust expenses
California Trust Litigation
As a trustee, you have a big job. Managing a trust can be difficult, and sometimes simple mistakes are misinterpreted as misconduct. Beneficiaries, too, can encounter issues with a trust. If you believe that your rights are being violated or that you are being unfairly accused of misconduct, the Law Office of Mitchell A. Port can represent you in trust litigation.
Our Los Angeles trust lawyer can assist you with trust litigationinvolving:
- Tax returns
- Accounting errors
- Trust property distribution
- Investment disputes
To get started on your case with a free phone consultation, call our Los Angeles trust attorney, Mitch Port, at (310) 526-3433.
“If you live on one coast and have a complex legal case on the other, you want a lawyer that not only has the knowledge and expertise to handle your case, but can make it as convenient as possible. I found that with Mitchell Port.” - Michelle F.
“My brother and I have been so fortunate that my father chose Mitch Port to create his Trust!” - Cathy W
Mitch is compassionate, extremely knowledgeable and professional” - Lynne
Get Our Free Online Guide
“Wills, Estates, and Probate 101”
Just enter your email address to receive the download link.