Tax Controversies Lawyer in Los Angeles
Aggressive Representation & Personalized Service
Obtaining tax help from an experienced and qualified California tax attorney is crucial to resolving tax problems. Attorney Mitchell A. Port is a lawyer and a former Internal Revenue Service (IRS) revenue/collection officer with an LL.M. in tax law from the University of San Diego School of Law who specializes in tax controversies. He can answer your questions and provide you with affordable, no-nonsense, practical, and effective solutions to your state or federal tax controversy case.
How We Can Help You
The Law Office of Mitchell A. Port works with individuals, estates, and businesses to resolve their tax controversy disputes.
Mitch Port handles tax controversy cases involving:
- Internal Revenue Service income tax collection problems
- Internal Revenue Service payroll tax problems
- U.S. Tax Court cases
- California Franchise Tax Board tax problems
- Innocent spouse relief
- Tax lien, bank levy, wage levy, and garnishment
- Installment agreements
- Property seizures
- Preventing the filing of federal tax liens or removing them once filed
- Negotiating and writing IRS Offers in Compromise
- Classifying workers as employees or independent contractors
- Abating penalties and interest
- Obtaining tax refunds
- Addressing back taxes
- Subordinating or discharging IRS tax liens
- Defending against the application of the Trust Fund Recovery Penalty, also known as the 100% penalty for payroll taxes
- Representing your best interests in IRS Appeals
- Addressing unfiled tax returns
We can translate all legal and tax jargon into plain English for our clients who are dealing with pending tax controversy cases in the U.S. Tax Court and with the IRS so that they are well-versed, up-to-date, aware of case developments, and able to make educated and informed decisions. Our firm knows how to smoothly navigate the rules and regulations of the IRS and the California tax agencies to avoid errors with potentially significant and costly implications.
Our attorney can appear in any IRS office throughout the United States. Mitch Port represents clients in tax controversy cases taking place primarily in Inglewood, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Venice, West Los Angeles, East Los Angeles, the cities of San Fernando Valley—including Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, and Encino—as well as other cities throughout Los Angeles County, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, and Orange County.
IRS problems — especially those leading to tax litigation — are rarely simple. Working with your attorney, however, should be. Battling the IRS can be a stressful experience, involving high risks and results that are not easy to predict.
It is important that you work with a Los Angeles tax lawyer who can make the process easier for you rather than more complicated. If you are faced with a federal or state tax controversy, choose a law firm that can direct you to the right course of action. Choose the Law Office of Mitchell A. Port.