Contact Law Office of Mitchell A. Port
It Is Always a Good Time to
Plan for the Future
El Monte Probate Attorney
Experienced Representation for Probate Administration, Estate Planning, & Tax Disputes
Attorney Mitchell A. Port has a unique combination of experience and education that sets him apart from other probate and tax attorneys. His knowledge of probate and estate planning is augmented by his former career as an IRS attorney in the Office of Chief Counsel and a revenue and collection officer.
Mitch Port’s four decades of experience enables him to guide a wide range of clients, from blue-collar workers to entertainment industry professionals and retirees.
He’s practiced law in California since 1982. He earned an LL.M in tax law from the University of San Diego School of Law and his Juris Doctor from Southwestern University School of Law. His undergraduate degree is a B.A. in Political Science from the University of California at Los Angeles.
Probate Services in El Monte, CA
Probate is a court process that distributes the deceased’s assets and pays bills still owed at the time of their death. Probate validates a will or determines that they died without one. When the deceased has no will, the court uses California’s intestate succession laws to determine how any remaining assets are distributed. Probate generally only comes into play if the deceased has assets (including stocks, bonds, etc.) valued at more than $166,250.
Our El Monte probate attorney can help with the following:
- Eliminating creditor’s claims against the decedent’s property
- Locating probate and non-probate assets
- Ensuring property passes to the rightful heirs after all debts have been paid
- Preparing and filing all required documentation with the courts
- Assisting with the sale of property
Disputes over a will and the distribution of assets add further complications to the process. Since probate is a public process, supposed heirs sometimes surface to lay claims on the estate. Sometimes family members squabble over assets. We will defend your interests and your loved one’s legacy through probate litigation.
Estate Planning in El Monte, CA
Estate planning prepares for future potentialities and inevitabilities. Mitch Port uses various tools that protect you if you become incapacitated or need long-term care. Through client-specific strategies, he can also streamline the probate process for your heirs.
Estate planning tools include the following:
- Will: Your will outlines how you want your estate distributed after your death. Having a will can help avoid disputes among your heirs. This legal document also can assign guardianship of minor children and someone to manage their inheritance.
- Trusts: Our El Monte attorney can create and administer trusts. Trusts are used to manage assets during your lifetime and distribute them upon death. Real estate, bank accounts, vehicles, investments, and more can be transferred to a trust. Revocable trusts can be revoked or changed during your lifetime. An irrevocable trust cannot be changed once it’s established. Both trusts serve specific purposes. A special needs trust helps a disabled person obtain state and federal benefits while maintaining access to the assets.
- Power of Attorney: Naming a power of attorney in advance of any situation puts you in control of who makes decisions for you. Otherwise, the courts can name someone as conservator over you.
- Advance Health Care Directive: You can name a person to make health-care decisions for you when you are no longer able to do so for yourself. The directive can include how you want certain health situations handled, including what life-extending measures you want to be taken.
Tax Controversies in El Monte, CA
Having a thorough understanding of tax implications is integral to effective estate planning. Our attorney’s significant experience offers our clients in El Monte insight they don’t find at all firms. Attorney Port’s education and work history also mean he can handle any tax dispute for individuals, estates, and businesses.
The Law Office of Mitchell A. Port offers tactical legal counsel for the following:
- IRS income tax collection problems
- IRS payroll tax problems
- Classifying workers vs. independent contractors
- Property seizures
- U.S. Tax Court cases
- IRS negotiations
- Addressing unfiled tax returns
Mitch Port knows how to navigate the complex rules and regulations of the IRS and California tax agencies.
Insightful & Strategic Attorney for Probate & Tax Counsel in El Monte, CA
Attorney Port’s appreciation of the intricacies of probate and tax law makes him a go-to lawyer for establishing estate plans, maneuvering through probate issues, resolving tax troubles, and helping businesses with their organizational and transactional matters.
The Law Office of Mitchell A. Port is serving the clients of El Monte by phone, video, and email. The first phone consultation is free. If you need help with a probate, estate, or tax matter, contact us today at (310) 526-3433.
“If you live on one coast and have a complex legal case on the other, you want a lawyer that not only has the knowledge and expertise to handle your case, but can make it as convenient as possible. I found that with Mitchell Port.” - Michelle F.
“My brother and I have been so fortunate that my father chose Mitch Port to create his Trust!” - Cathy W
Mitch is compassionate, extremely knowledgeable and professional” - Lynne
WHY MITCHELL A. PORT?
EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE
High Record of Success
Work Directly With Attorney Mitchell A. Port
Nearly 4 Decades of Experience
Discounted Consultation Rate