Contact Law Office of Mitchell A. Port
It Is Always a Good Time to
Plan for the Future
Whittier Estate Planning Attorney
Helping Clients Protect Their Future for Over Four Decades
The Law Office of Mitchell A. Port has proudly represented families, individuals, and businesses during probate, tax controversy, trust administration and more. We understand how important legacy is to our clients and we work tirelessly to help them protect what matters most.
Call our Whittier estate planning attorney at (310) 526-3433 to learn more.
Probate in California
In California, the deceased’s estate is processed through probate. During this process, the court will oversee the disbursement of assets to settle remaining debts. In some cases, if the deceased does not have a will the court must oversee how the administrator will manage the estate and how the assets remaining after paying off debt will be distributed.
Probate may also help to decide whether a will is valid. If the deceased has a will, but the legality of it is questionable, the court may assess the will and agree to appoint a judicial officer who might mediate the terms with beneficiaries and family members.
Our probate attorney has extensive experience with the probate system and can assist with a variety of legal matters including:
- Locating probate and non-probate assets
- Assisting with the sale of property
- Ensuring property passes to the rightful heirs after all appropriate debts are paid
- Preparing and filing all required documentation with the courts
- Eliminating some or all of the creditors’ claims against the decedent’s property
Disputes over the will and distribution of assets can complicate the probate process. Not only is probate a complicate legal process, but it is also an emotional time for the loved ones of the deceased. The Law Office of Mitchell A. Port understands the importance of sound counsel backed by experience and compassion so we can assist clients during this difficult time.
Estate planning is legal protection from probate for a person’s assets. Creation of an estate plan can happen during any phase of life – not just after retirement. A good estate plan should include provisions for assets, beneficiaries, and long-term health care if necessary.
Within an estate plan, the following may be included:
- Will: A will outlines how the estate is distributed after death. Not only is a will the roadmap for the estate, but it can also prevent asset loss during probate and in some cases nominate guardianship of minor children.
- Power of Attorney: Naming a power of attorney in advance ensures that the right person is in charge of major end of life decisions like your finances and more.
- Trusts: An estate plan may include trusts which are used to manage assets during the grantor’s lifetime and protect the assets for the beneficiary.
- Advance Health Care Directive: An advance health care directive is a designated role that involves making critical health care decisions and preemptively deciding how certain health situations are handled. For example, if a person has a terminal disease, they may need an advance health care directive in case they are no longer able to make decisions on their own.
Other Cases We Handle
At the Law Office of Mitchell A. Port, we handle a variety of cases from estate planning to probate and more.
Our services also include:
- IRS income tax collection problems
- Addressing unfiled tax returns
- U.S. Tax Court cases
- Legal disputes
- Special need trusts
- And more
When you need comprehensive legal counsel backed by insight and experience, choose the Law Office of Mitchell A Port.
Your Whittier Estate Planning Attorney
Estate planning is for most everyone, but it is a daunting process. The Law Office of Mitchell A. Port can assist you at every phase of the estate planning process from drafting a will and trust to designating a power of attorney. Our specialized legal strategies are optimized to your specific needs so you can get the peace of mind you deserve.
Schedule a free phone consultation with our Whittier estate planning attorney at the Law Office of Mitchell A Port.
“If you live on one coast and have a complex legal case on the other, you want a lawyer that not only has the knowledge and expertise to handle your case, but can make it as convenient as possible. I found that with Mitchell Port.” - Michelle F.
“My brother and I have been so fortunate that my father chose Mitch Port to create his Trust!” - Cathy W
Mitch is compassionate, extremely knowledgeable and professional” - Lynne
WHY MITCHELL A. PORT?
EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE
High Record of Success
Work Directly With Attorney Mitchell A. Port
Nearly 4 Decades of Experience
Discounted Consultation Rate